Monday, December 5, 2011

A Christmas Wish

A letter to Santa Paws from an ADR dog in foster care.

Dear Santa Paws,

Since some very nice people already got me sprung from the cold and loud place, and I’ve got just what I need for the holidays (a warm dog bed to rest my mug and quality food in my tummy), I’d like to ask for something a little different of you this year. Here goes (ahem, ahem) my wish list...

I wish that politicians would wake up, smell the kibble, and realize that BSL doesn't work. Good dogs and responsible owners are being punished everyday. Admit your mistakes and work with experts to enact dog laws deal with the real issues. A dog, is a dog, is a dog and we need regulations that work to provide dogs owners with affordable spay/neuter and training programs, communities with bite prevention training and laws that give responsible dog owners a break!

If you believe breed specific legislation should be repealed in Ontario, please support Bill-16. Second reading of the private member's bill is in February.

I wish for people to stop buying dogs from pet stores and websites that are supplied by and support backyard breeders and puppy mills. In fact, I wish that people stop buying dogs at all. The pet overpopulation problem is a huge one. There are so many rescued dogs like me without a home and family to call their own. Consider the adoption option and visit a shelter or connect with a rescue group, today!


"Shelter dogs aren't broken.
They've simply experienced more life than other dogs.
If they were human, we would call them wise.
They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write.
The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage.
Don't pity a shelter dog.
Adopt one.
And be proud to have their greatness by your side."
- unknown


And finally, Santa Paws, I wish people would think twice about how they train their dogs. We (dogs) are simple and just do what works. Yelling, poking and rolling (as seen on TV) hurts and does nothing to build or strengthen a deep bond between us that we so desperately crave. Dogs are surrendered and returned to shelters everyday, simply because families haven't sought help from a qualified trainer for behaviour issues (or have chosen to work with the wrong trainer). The number 2 trigger for aggression in dogs, is discipline. Positive reinforcement training keeps families safe, dogs in their adoptive homes, and very simply saves lives by reducing the number of companions euthanized due to unwanted behaviours.

Thank you in advance, Santa Paws.

Signed,
One of the Lucky Ones

p.s. I wouldn’t say no to club size jar of peanut butter if you’ve got room!

1 comment:

  1. Well said. So many triggers for aggression have been identified. How are owners supposed to be responsible when government agencies do not address the root of problem? I'd be willing to bet that Mike Vick would be allowed into Ontario. But the dogs he abused are considered dangerous. Blame the victim, forgive the attacker. Reminds me of how women used to get blamed when their spouses hit them. I remember officers telling women that they should be more submissive.

    ReplyDelete